Yes, riding a motorcycle can definitely make you look cool but you should bear in mind that motorcycles can also be dangerous especially if the motorcyclist is an inexperienced rider. Because of this, safety should always be your top priority. You may be carried away by the fun that riding a motorcycle brings and by its cost efficiency especially in terms of fuel economy and maintenance but never forget that with all these advantages is the fact that motorcycle riders are 30 times more likely to die in a crash than those in a car. However, you should understand that the likelihood for accidents is dependent upon the drivers themselves which means your own safety would be up to you. If you choose to be careless and inattentive, you are definitely set for the hospital. But if you want to stay safe and whole, improve on your risk awareness.
If you have just recently decided to engage in motorcycling, here are some awesome safety tips that you should take into heart.
- Buy a bike you can handle. Some people become overconfident and ambitious when it comes to buying motorcycles, often buying models that aren’t suited for them. But you should know that if you’re going to buy a motorcycle, don’t go for a motorcycle you can’t handle. If both your feet aren’t flat on the ground, then it’s not good for you.
- Go for antilock brakes. Studies have shown that 30% of drivers that don’t use antilock brakes are more prone to crashes than those that do. This is because antilock brakes allow drivers to retain steering control in the event of an emergency stop.
- Work on your skills. The best way to avoid accidents and mishaps is to constantly improve your riding skills. You can enrol yourself in a riding course or devote considerable amount of time for practice.
- Wear the right gear. Wearing the appropriate safety gear can help keep you safe in the event of an accident. Invest on good helmets, gloves, jackets, pants, boots and even armour if necessary.
- Care for your motorcycle. The rider is only as good as his motorcycle so better make sure your ride is in tiptop shape. This means making the necessary repairs when needed, buying the right Yamaha motorcycle parts and constantly adding improvements to your ride.